Monday, June 14, 2010

The bag that took forever....

Who would've thought a bag could give me so much trouble. This is my second attempt at a professional looking bag and seeing as my first attempt was so successful and easy I thought i'd get a little ambitious. But I was way in over my head with this one. My first struggle was working with the curves. I had no idea two curved edges won't sew right sides together. I still haven't figured it out so if anyone has any tips for this self taught sewer... In the end I just sewed the curved pieces onto the base colour instead of the being apart of the actual bag. Oh well. But then the worst trouble I had was with the strap. It drove me insane! I was far too impatient and in the end it took me more time than if I'd just spent the time doing it slowly. Also my sewing machine is in desperate need of a service and consequently sewing straight lines is like trying to drive a car straight with bad wheel alignment. I got there in the end but I'm still not happy with the strap. Luckily a few days ago I came across a brilliant way of making a padded bag strap that is so quick and easy. I love it! My saviour was this blog post by Lisa at U-Handbag. Thanks to Faint Impressions for introducing me to the wealth of knowledge that is U-Handbag. She has lots of great advice for sewing. Phew no more disastrous hair tearing attempts at making a padded strap. On a funny note my boyfriend took one look at this bag and said it looks like a leprechaun's tuxedo. Hmmm.

:)Kim

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad someone is getting some value from my blog.
    Let's chat about the bag curves tonight at the partay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails